Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The results, data, figures, or other material in this manuscript have not been formally published previously and are not currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
If submitting a manuscript in peer-reviewed category (i.e., Knowledge Syntheses, Original Investigations, Case Reports, Special Papers), the manuscript includes page numbers and continuous line numbers and adheres to the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review.
- If applicable, a statement on approval or exemption by an institutional review board or equivalent is included in the Methods section.
- References are formatted according to the Medical Library Association Style Manual.
- If submitting an Original Investigation, Case Report, or Special Paper, the manuscript contains a Data Availability Statement in accordance with the JMLA Data Sharing Policy.
- If submitting a Knowledge Synthesis, Original Investigation, Case Report, Special Paper, or Virtual Projects, the manuscript contains an Author Contributions Statement using CRediT taxonomy. If submitting to a peer-reviewed article category, author names should be redacted from this statement.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License or its equivalent, which, for the Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
a. Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal website; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
a. the Work is the Author’s original work;
b. the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
c. the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
d. the Work has not previously been published;
e. the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
f. the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 7 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
- To the extent that the Author is a U.S. Government employee, and the Work was written within the scope of their employment and is not protected by the U.S. Copyright, the above terms and conditions are modified to acknowledge 1.) that the Work is in the public domain, and 2.) Paragraph 8 does not apply.
Revised October 12, 2022